Monday, October 17, 2011

Beet Green Bonanza

As the garden produce dwindles for the season, I am trying to use every last bit up, which has left me with an abundance of beets and therefore beet greens. The flavor is more pungent than spinach, but these greens are packed with health giving properties.A good source of Protein, Folate, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus and Zinc, and a great source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Vitamin K, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, Copper and Manganese.

I've been using the greens all week and have come up with my 5 favorite meals:

Potato Black Bean and Beet Green Enchiladas
Beet Green and Feta Quiche
Beef Stew with Beet Greens
Sauteed Beet Greens with Sesame and Garlic
Beet Green and Quinoa Pancakes ( I use a cornmeal base and add in the quinoa and chopped beet greens)

Here's to Happy Harvesting!

No comments: